Semester of leave and internships

If you are planning a longer internship or a stay abroad during your studies, it is possible to apply for a so-called "semester of leave". The semester of leave is not counted as a semester of study and can be applied for at the Student Administration Office. If you apply for a semester of leave due to an internship ("taking up a practical activity that promotes studies") or a stay abroad, you must submit a certificate from the School confirming that it promotes studies to the Student Administration Office. This certificate can be applied for at the Student Counselling Office of the Schumpeter School of Business and Economics.

General information on this and the relevant requirements can be found on the website of the Student Administration Office, which will also be happy to answer any general questions you may have about the semester of leave.

Certificate of the School on the eligibility

The Student Counselling Service will be happy to issue you with a corresponding certificate. To do so, please send an informal application with the necessary information and proof by e-mail to: studienberatung[at]


The following information and proof is required for the issue of the certificate:

  • Your personal data: Last name, first name, matriculation number, degree programme (Bachelor or Master)
  • A written confirmation from the company or the receiving university
  • Period in which the internship or stay abroad is to take place
  • Please state the semester for which you would like to take a leave of absence

Please also note the following information.


The following requirements must be met for an internship or stay abroad to be eligible for study support:

  • The internship or stay abroad must last at least 3 months.
  • The internship or stay abroad must be in the field of business and economics.
  • The internship or stay abroad must not be part of your examination regulations.

When taking a semester of leave, the examination eligibility for the entire semester is cancelled. It is therefore essential to note that no examinations can be taken during this period and that the study plan must be individually adapted accordingly. The staff of the Student Counselling Service will be happy to advise you on the design of an efficient study plan and the integration of the internship.


Since you still pay the tuition fee during a semester of leave, you are still a student and can therefore also use the NRW-Ticket. In principle, it is possible to submit the ticket to the AStA of the Bergische Universität Wuppertal and thus receive the mobility fee back.

However, your student status no longer applies to your health insurance because you work more than 20 hours per week as part of a full-time internship. Therefore, please be sure to check with your health insurance provider.

More information about #UniWuppertal: